An Investment Opportunity
As the world moves steadily towards a net zero future, the demand for sustainable, effective carbon dioxide removal (CDR) solutions is set to increase significantly. This represents both a major challenge and a tremendous opportunity.
Who is Carbon Lock Tech?
Carbon Lock Tech is a Canadian-based carbon dioxide removal (CDR) start-up with patented pyrolytic technology for converting biomass into biocarbon for long-term sequestration purposes. It plans to scale the company through operating partnerships, technology sales and licensing agreements.
Why Carbon Dioxide Removal?
Climate change is a risk to be managed, and has the potential to disrupt not only the climate and ecosystems but social, political and economic systems as well.
While most efforts to date have focused on reducing carbon dioxide emissions, it is becoming increasingly clear that this will not be enough. Attention is now being focused on a parallel approach: carbon dioxide removal.
- Carbon Dioxide Removal – An Introduction (Deloitte 2023)
- Carbon Removal (World Resources Institute)
- CDR Fact Sheet (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change)
What is Net-Zero?
Net-zero is the point at which global carbon dioxide emissions are “zeroed” by carbon dioxide removals. From the atmosphere’s perspective, this is equivalent to eliminating all carbon emissions.
As seen in the graph below, carbon dioxide removal solutions – sometimes called negative emissions technologies – have an important role to play in achieving new zero.
Solutions that provide negative emissions are currently in high demand. Carbon Lock Tech has such a solution.
Source: World Economic Forum’s Carbon Dioxide Removal: Best-Practice Guidelines
What are Carbon Removal Credits?
New types of carbon credits – called carbon dioxide removal (CDR) credits – are currently in high demand. CDR credits are generated when carbon is removed from the atmosphere and sequestered for the long term in soils, rocks, infrastructure and elsewhere. Companies like Microsoft, Google, Airbus and Shopify are actively buying CDR credits, either directly or through brokers, and a CDR credit futures markets is beginning to develop.
- Frontier Climate (leading CDR credit buyer composed of Meta, Alphabet, Shopify and others)
- Puro Earth (leading CDR broker highly supportive of biochar approaches and recently purchased by Nasdaq)
- Carbon Dioxide Removal (World Economic Forum)
- Carbon Removals: How to Scale a New Gigaton Industry (McKinsey Sustainability)
Carbon Lock Tech has selected biocarbon (or “biochar”) production as its carbon removal approach. Biochar production involves the conversion of biomass or organic matter into stable biocarbon, after which the carbon can be sequestered in a range of applications, from agricultural soils and construction materials to sustainable landfills and manufactured goods.
Biochar production is currently the leading method for removing carbon from the atmosphere and generating CDR credits. Recent studies indicate that biochar exhibits very high permanence, an important consideration when developing a CDR credit strategy.
- About Biochar (International Biochar Initiative)
- Biochar – A powerful tool for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere (Puro.Earth)
- North America’s biggest biochar plant takes shape in Canada (Financial Post)
Why Invest in Carbon Lock Tech?
Carbon Lock Tech is currently engaging investors interested in the new and rapidly developing carbon removal sector.
The company has identified three core revenue streams:
- The acceptance and processing of organic waste
- The production and sale of specialized biocarbon outputs
- The generation and sale of carbon dioxide removal (CDR) certificates
The company is researching several commercialization strategies:
- Owner-operator model, public-private partnerships models, joint venture models, technology licensing models, technology manufacturing and sales/lease models
The company is positioning itself to be a strong player in the CDR space:
- Patented pyrolytic reactor technology.
- Solid team with expertise in chemistry, engineering, prototyping and business development.
- Active Board of Directors with executive experience in range of industries.
- Strong research partnerships with industry and academia.
- Support from the Industrial Research Assistance Program and Sustainable Development Technology Canada.
- Membership in the North Forge Technology Exchange, Foresight Canada, AirMiners, and Bioenterprise Canada.
- Finalist in the $1 million Food Waste Reduction Challenge.
- Nominee for the Earth Shot Prize.
If you are interested in learning more about our our Seed Round, please reach out here. We’ll get back to you with a pitch deck and additional details.